Kamp Rats Forums  

Go Back   Kamp Rats Forums > General Discussion > 4WD Offroading
Register Members List Forums Photo Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4WD Offroading Keep getting stuck in the mud? You think trails are more fun than rock crawling? General offroading talk can be found here.

Old Mar 11th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Clubjoe
ahh, back on the piz route

Default HUCKFEST 2014--Pismo

Just FYI-

Did some checking around on this year's Huckfest, supposedly slated for Oct 18 weekend this year. Apparently the organizers have booked every spot for the beach, and will be re-selling them. The State is out of the ressie business that weekend because they are officially sold out (I checked Resrveamerica).

The event organizers are charging $35 for a day pass, and $100 for overnights. This gate fee is for beach access, and it doesn't matter whether or not you go to see the event.

Organizers are saying it's to cover costs for security/safety, ETC...... Sounds like it has officially become a profit event, because prior events were sponsor driven, although they will still be there this year...

If you go, have fun, just be aware of the price change for those dates.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Strabo
Rasor Road Rowdy 11

Default Re: HUCKFEST 2014--Pismo

Giant rip off, it was free before. The organizers cant stick it where the sun dont shine.
We Live Life Together, My Love, My Life......GlazAngel

Maverick Turbo's Rock, Amazing!!!!
Strabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #3
big buford

Haha, if I want to huck something I'll huck it myself... never understood paying to watch somebody else have fun. So it's a safe bet I'm out fishy a state run park can do this? Seems alot of rules need to be broken to do this? I would like to buy all of 4th of july ressies... 10k in 100k out sign me up
big buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #4
LJB
Lets Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by big buford View Post
Haha, if I want to huck something I'll huck it myself... never understood paying to watch somebody else have fun. So it's a safe bet I'm out fishy a state run park can do this? Seems alot of rules need to be broken to do this? I would like to buy all of 4th of july ressies... 10k in 100k out sign me up
I agree, lots of rules have been broken on this one.
07 Raptor 700
06 Preditor 500
04 KTM 525 MXC

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Most people are concerned if they have enough ammo when the zombie apocalypse comes, we're concerned that their will be enough zombies.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Dinubians

Interesting:
The Huckfest was created (2008) by a small group of friends in the Oceano Dunes, California formerly known as (Pismo Beach) the event started out with a couple guys jokingly arguing about whose truck could jump, or “huck”, further than anyone else; and thus Huckfest was born. Attracting a crowd of a couple hundred duners, photos and video were taken and it went viral. It was shared to thousands of viewers around the world, posting in magazines and off-road forums. Twin Brothers, Johnny and Manuel Garner, at the age of 16 saw an opportunity to turn this event into something so much bigger. So, after the first unofficial Huckfest (2008) “The Twins” contacted Park officials about creating this dune jumping competition, Huckfest. Park officials turned them away and said, “absolutely not!” The Garner brothers did not take no for an answer and pushed forward.

2009 thru 2011, and quadrupling in size every year, the unofficial official Huckfest drew crowds of thousands grabbing the Park officials off guard. The Garner brothers soon had to meet with California officials to organize this rapidly growing event into a “safe and sane” off-road destination. Fast forward to 2013, the event attracted a crowd that maxed out the beach before 10am on the event day and boosted the local economy and flooding the central coast with new tourist. The Central Coast was officially on the map as a must go destination for duning. The event attracted 5 time Baja Champ BJ “Ballistic” Baldwin and the first ever Monster Truck “Pat Gerber of Shocker Motorsports” in the Oceano Dunes! The 5th annual Huckfest was the largest event ever hosted on the Central Coast!

As locals to the Pismo Beach/ Oceano Dunes we want to give back to our local economy so we want to donate a percentage of the proceeds we earn to the Friends of the Oceano Dunes.

The Friends of Oceano Dunes is a 501(c)(3) California Not-for-Profit Public Benefit Corporation. This corporation is comprised of citizens and business representatives who enjoy the benefits of Public Access and usage of the Oceano Dunes State Vehicle Recreation Area (ODSVRA).

Friends of the Oceano Dunes Objective

To unite the many people who enjoy the Oceano Dunes in a cohesive organization that can promote and reinforce responsible recreation. This will be accomplished by developing a large network of FRIENDS and collecting donations to accomplish our objective. We support ALL forms of responsible recreation and we will work to ensure continued access to the ODSVRA.

Park Info

This is not Oceano Campground at Pismo State Beach.
At Oceano Dunes SVRA, the campsites are on the beach in the OHV area.
Four wheel drive vehicles are recommended.
Each vehicle entering the park under it's own power must have an individual reservation number. Vehicles on trailers do not need a reservation.
Due to the popularity and nature of this park, there is no space available for parking additional cars. Each reservation is limited to one vehicle and one legally towed vehicle. Each vehicle entering the park under its own power must have an individual reservation number.
Fees include entry for 1 vehicle and 1 legally towed vehicle per reservation. Four wheel drive vehicles are recommended.
Vehicles on trailers do not need a reservation.
No overnight extra vehicle parking available outside of Oceano campground.
Due to tide and beach conditions, check-in is as tides allow on your arrival date. CHECK-OUT TIME IS 6:00 P.M.

Getting There:
The area is located in Oceano, three miles south of Pismo Beach, off Highway One.

The Oceano Dunes SVRA entrance kiosks are located at 100 Pier Ave. in Oceano, CA and at 25 W. Grand Ave. in Grover Beach, CA.

Source: http://huckfest.ticketleap.com/tickets4huckfest/details
Dinubians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Clubjoe
ahh, back on the piz route

Yeah, everyone wants to see the Huckfest, but I'd bet in reality it's probably just a motivational perk of camping that particular weekend.

I guess it's no more expensive than renting a cheaper beach area motel for the night, but a $90 hike in the usual overnight price is gonna be a shocker...

I'm not as turned off by the price now that I've had time to swim in the idea a while, but it sure is annoying that it has become a "for profit" event. They must have already had sponsor funds to cover the costs of previous events. Can't imagine the State would have let it go on knowing without requiring insurance, security, etc for the last few years...
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Strabo
Rasor Road Rowdy 11

I worry the "state" will raise pismo beach camping fee's, the $10 a night fee is so reasonable and fair and its been that price for years. I like that price, so does everyone else. One way those who want the beach closed to camping would be to price it out of whats realistic and affordable.....

IMO.....
We Live Life Together, My Love, My Life......GlazAngel

Maverick Turbo's Rock, Amazing!!!!
Strabo is offline   Reply With Quote